Wednesday 11 March 2009

Tuscan won't Start

I have had the Tuscan's first real problem.It was running fine but one cold morning the starter would not turn quickly. Immediately suspecting the battery and having no documentary evidence of how old it was I replaced it with a Varta Type 72, 630 cranking amps and 70 amp/hour with 5 year guarantee from MultiCell for £74; which was slightly more powerful than the old battery. Once fitted I turned the key but the starter still turned very slowly indeed - ohhhh dear!

I knew the car had had a new starter last May before I purchased it, but it had all the symptoms of a duff starter. I took off the very large air cleaner box and checked all the positive connections, which looked good and the starter was indeed new. I phoned Racing Green TVR who were really helpful and they told me that the starter motors rarely fail and mentioned the engine earthing to the chassis can be a problem.

I used a heavy duty jump lead attached to the exhaust and the negative terminal of the battery to make an earth connection and sure enough, the starter turned faster and faster until the engine fired - Bingo!

I have ordered a new earth strap £11.50 and a couple of spare 100 amp fuses and will fit them as soon as I can.

No comments: