Thursday 6 March 2008

Injection Upgrades

I have just got the ChimP back and the good news is that she is running even better! The difference is quite marked all through the rev range, but especially at the top end.

It did cost £1693.76 for this work, but some quite major bits have been changed that provide benefits now and will provide further benefits if and when I go to a 4.6L engine. I now have:

Ported inlet manifold
Modified Plenum with enlarged throttle
Modified trumpets and base.
Variable fuel pressure regulator.

As well as a host of other bits and the oil has been changed.

RPI have checked the engine and all is well. It appears the cam and tappets have been recently
changed, which is good news. the tapping noise at startup has stopped as well.

Chris from RPI has driven the car quite a bit and his opinion is that in terms of handling and performance it is in good condition and quite impressive. RPI went to great lengths to explain to me the care and attention they have lavished on the car and you can certainly appreciate that. I wish my Suzuki dealer would do the same!

I have been doing some more investigation and the next phase for the ChimP(funds permitting) is as follows.

New Alloy wheels 17" front and 18" back with toyo tyres - £800
New Steering Wheel - £250
Partial interior re-trim to change the cracked seats etc from cream to light grey - £1500
Racing Red Shocks - £700
Leven Kick plates, column stalks, switches, vent decoration etc - £225

A tidy sum indeed, but I could have easily spent £20K on something that basically is not as accomplished.

The Chimaera really is designed for the kind of twisty A and B roads I use most. There is no motorway in Norfolk after all. I think it is the perfect base on which to build an ultra fast A-B sports car, probably one of the best ever designed. Sure there are other cars in this bracket, but not for £6.5K and the main point is that other cars are not as customisable, look as good or sound so gorgeous.

My mate Will has just sold his S2000 and purchased a 4 year old BMW M3 convertible. I have been passenger and it certainly has all the toys , is beautifully made and is very quick in the mid range, though it weighs 1660Kg; 600Kg more than the ChimP and 260Kg more than the Camaro! Will is not mechanically minded and does longer trips than me so it is the perfect choice for him. Will is not the best passenger and after a little trip down my favourite back roads admitted that the ChimP was a pretty awesome motor vehicle and really quite scary!

The dash lights have stopped working now, which I hope is just a fuse but I suspect I will be changing to the new Leven dashboard sooner than expected. It all points to the dash having been removed for whatever reason before and things not being replaced properley.

This is sooo much better than buying a new car, all ups and downs and excitement and expectations. I have owned the ChimP for 3 months now and the buzzz just goes on and on...

No comments: