Tuesday 26 February 2008

Further Mods

I am pleased to report that after the upgrades etc the TVR has settled down and is going very well indeed. At motor way cruising speeds the ChimP just purrrrrs along.

Chimaeras tend to get called "Chims" in the TVR Car Club. I think this is due to the peculiar spelling, which naturally gets shortened? I am calling mine "ChimP" though because it is P registered and it's like having a monkey on your back when things go wrong!

After the recent engine work both the engine and box are a lot smoother, but as the tick-over has settled down when cold I can now hear a "tapping", which will no doubt be the camshaft or lifter.

I have finished off waterproofing the hood and it looks a lot smarter and the water simply runs off instead of soaking in.

As the Odometer has stopped at 51,999 and other things indicated a higher mileage my suspicions of tampering were aroused. If you go to http://www.direct.gov.uk/motoring you can now search your cars MOT history. You need either the V5 reference number or the last MOT reference number(computerised only). Sure enough I found that a prior MOT showed 71,000 miles so the complete service history and 51,000 odometer reading had been falsified. A real bugger, but I am afraid an all too common occurrence when buying from the trade.

The stainless Dash and Radio panel have been delivered from Leven and look very nice indeed, though I will wait for a while before fitting. I am also in the process of sourcing a nicer looking steering wheel as well from Mota-lita who have asked me for a load of measurements to see if they have one that fits.

I am going to the USA on business, so the Chimp has gone to RPI for a week to have the air intake side of things sorted. This involves a new Plenum, new "Bell mouth" intake trumpets and a new air intake valve. They are also going to change the oil and check the camshaft and compression. I don't expect good news!

No comments: