Saturday 16 February 2008

Things going wrong

TVRs are not the most relaible of vehicles it has to be said, but they are brilliant to drive and really quite fast.

Had a little go with a 89 Sierra Cosworth today. He was 3 up and really trying, judging by the amount of brown smoke from the over large zorst, but I could keep up fine. He had to slow down for the roundabouts a lot more than I did. In the end he accelerated off a roundabout, there was a big bang and a huge cloud of smoke which I had to drive through blind (A bit like a flak burst, it was that bad). After that he turned off up the next side road, so I suppose he did some damage.

The tickover as RPI predicted sorted itself out after about 20 miles and now returns to idle just fine.

The heater valve control on the dashboard has stopped working, as the cable seems to have popped out. This is a dashboard out job, but I can still operate it from the passenger footwell if I contort myself. The Odometer and trip have also just stopped working at 51,999 miles, again a dash out job.

I wanted to replace the dashboard and radio panel with a turned aluminium item from Leven anyway as the wood item has delaminated. I will get around to it after I have used the car a bit more and see what else goes wrong.

I have put the Renovo colour restorer on the hood and it looks great and makes the car look a lot newer. It looked horrible going on like that awful mid-blue of 90's Metros and Maestros but fortunately darkened down considerably when dry to the original Navy. You do need to mask the car up and take a bit of care with the brush. Use white spirit to get rid of any drips as soon as you can.

I think my TVR will settle down and become semi-relaible as we get used to each other, I suspect the car has not been used like this for a while and so things are bound to go wrong.

No comments: