Friday 1 February 2008

First Improvements

I got the TVR home with my mate Will following in his Honda S2000 ( Top Bloke) with the car running badly on part throttle. I went to Wilco and got new leads and coil and rotor arm and distributor cap for about £42 quid and fitted them and the misfire was almost gone and the car at least driveable in traffic.

There were a few other bits to do, the Mirror glass fell out, but sticky fixers mended that. I cleaned up the leather interior with Hydrate from Simple Solutions who do all kinds of professional car valeting stuff and it smelt great. I gave the exterior a clean and polish and apart from 1 small stone chip she looked beautiful and a good buy.

The car also came with an Accumate fitted battery charger/conditioner so I figured the battery would be duff. Sure enough one cold night (Batteries really hate the cold) I could not start the car. Even the alarm would not work, or even the dash lights. I thought it would be a TVR gremlin, but I checked the battery voltage and it was only 10.42, so a cell had died. Being a true engineer and firmy believing in a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" philosophy I plugged the accumate in and it did bring the battery up to 12.78 volts after 12 hours or so, but it's little LED light should go Green and it stayed Amber, so I knew the battery was toast.

No comments: