Monday 11 February 2008

More Tweaking

It has been a nice weekend here in Norfolk and with the TVR running better and coming up to temperature I seized the opportunity for some testing .

Driving wise I am getting more used to the car. Following a large sports motorbike down my favourite country road, I was backing off all the time even though he cut all the corners. The road had dry salt on it and so the TVR let go at the back end coming out of corners a couple of times. The TVR has more tyre area and more torque than a bike so I should be able to keep up with one on a twisty road. I have to remember to not brake using the gearbox and use the brakes instead. The problem is I have had so many old cars with lousy brakes it takes getting used to.

On the bypass people seem to get out of the fast lane when you arrive in their rear view mirrors, which is nice.

I have advanced the ignition further because I thought the engine should be reaching 6000 even faster. This seemed to have worked and has also generally improved the running making the car seem more refined, though every time I use the car it seems to run differently, so it is difficult establishing a "base line" to work from, this could be due to the weather varying 14 degrees centigrade though. I do the timing a couple of millimetres at a time and am very careful how I use the throttle afterwards. You should be able to hear the difference and make further adjustments accordingly. The dizzy clamp nut is a bugger to reach on the Rover with PAS,especially when it is hot, so a special spanner will have to be made.

The engine tickover is not settling down quickly enough either, so I suspect a "sensor" problem somewhere. The Engine Temperature sensor is cheap to replace so I shall order one.

I have also ordered a complete Renovo hood refurbishment kit costing £64, which should make the car look better as the hood looks slightly faded.

No comments: