Friday 1 February 2008

Taking the Plunge

I never intended to purchase a TVR but things tend to transpire in mysterious ways - cue twilight Zone music (dooo, dooo, do, do - dooo, dooo, do, do)

I had decided to give up motorcycling after an eventful 40 years and originally was going to purchase a Rat-Rod.

I looked on E-Bay.com at many suitable vehicles in the states, which were all available for a very low price compared to what is available in the UK. I looked at Model T's and Model A's and 32 Fords etc, etc. I placed bids on several, but in the end the thought of getting them through the SVA test, the cost of importation (around £2000) and the fact they would have to be on a ship for 2-3 months put me off.

I then thought I would build a Westfield Kit Car and do a few track days, but the spec I wanted came to around £14K and to be frank I am not that fond of the "Lotus 7" look. Having built a Kit-car or two before I could do without the inevitable hassle and SVA test tribulations as well.

The idea of building an Ultima also sprang to mind, but again a circa £50K price tag and the practicalities of the project started to do my head in.

I like to do a lot of research before I buy a car and to me that aspect of the hobby is very pleasing. The internet really is a great place for car related hobbies and there is a mine of very useful information if you know how to phrase the question correctly. Buying a new car from a dealer is a soulless experience and is over far too quickly. On the other hand I find improving older cars of character such a long term rewarding experience.

I was looking on Ebay for cars when the thought of a TVR just sort of struck me. I had a look and the prices were very reasonable, expecially as many of them seem to exit the road stage left through a hedge backwards and can be purchased as damaged repaired. Only £5700 for a 1998 low mileage example, for instance.

The price of a TVR looked good and the performance seemed good (0-60 in under 6 and 150mph top end), there was no SVA or build time to consider and I would have the bonus of a comfortable interior. The cars have the prerequisite V8 and so sounded good and looked good too, they handle well and there was a good owners club. The TVR can be tuned in many ways and provided much scope for "Tinkering". There were also specific TVR track days organised and even the Ace Cafe had a TVR day. The Insurance wasn't too bad at £400 (Though my 67 327 Camaro is only £98 as I can get a classic policy for it).

Soooo it seemed like a good plan all round. The only downside was the infamous TVR build quality - mmm oh well I am a qualified Automobile Engineer and Electrician and an experienced bodger, so "why didn't I just knock myself out" - as they say.

I had often considered purchasing a TVR over the years but they are in my opinion a "Kit Car" and use many parts from many production vehicles. I would never pay £35K for such a car new or even £13K, which was how much they were a few years ago, however if I could get a nice one for around £7K then I would consider that a whole lot of vehicle for Kit-Car money.

Now some people may be figuring at this point how can a guy who wanted a rat-rod end up with a TVR.? You know kind of go from tatoos and piercings to cloth cap and driving gloves? Well to me they are both V8 fibreglass open top cars and I would leave the cultural differences to those who care.

I wanted to sell my motorcycle before purchasing a new car but happened upon a 1996 TVR Chimaera in my favourite navy blue at a fairly local motorcycle dealer. I have purchased a lot of cars over the years and I know the fickle hand of fate when I feel her tap me on the shoulder, so just before Xmas 2007 I phoned up the geezer (he happened to be a mate of a mate it transpired) and did a pretty good deal trading in the bike. The car had a full TVR history had been HPI'd and was also fitted with power steering (a must for the wife). a good 6CD changer and seemed in pretty good condition, even the clock worked. I took it for a drive... it had a nasty misfire, but the guy had dropped the price £1500 so I figured I would risk it. I wanted to tune the engine anyway. I guess it cost me £6500, so I was happy - a lot of performance for a few quid.

No comments: